Tuesday, November 23, 2010

A Day to Remember

I cannot believe that Kayla is 5! I can remember the day she was born and the events leading up to her birth like it was yesterday. Throughout my pregnancy, I had normal blood pressure and absolutely no symptoms of the problems that were about to take place. On Monday, I was at school(work) and felt just fine. I remember going into classrooms and talking with other teachers about their Thanksgiving Day plans. I had some time before school was to start so I headed over to the library to get some books for my class. Out of absolutely no where, I had the most excruciating pain in my abdomen and immediately doubled over and thought I was going to collapse. I was not far from the library and made my way into the door and then held on to the bookshelf, looked for Kim and started crying (hard). I was in SO much pain and I was SO scared. She ran over to me and I started getting sick. Kim ran to get the school nurse which immediately made the decision to call 911. I was 33 weeks pregnant and she was not sure what was wrong. When the paramedics came, they determined that I was experiencing severe preeclampsia (extremely high blood pressure) and I needed to get to the hospital quick to avoid seizures. I will never forget all of the teachers surrounding me and the concern on their faces still brings tears to my eyes, it was scary. I was taken to the hospital and told that I would need to be induced as delivery was the only way to lower my blood pressure. However, the doctor decided that it would be too early to deliver and Kayla's lungs were not fully developed. I was administered one dose of steroids to help speed the development of Kayla's lungs. I was also hooked up to an iv of magnesium to help regulate my blood pressure. Since my blood pressure was so high and I would not be induced for a few days, the dosage of magnesium, was high. The magnesium was the worst thing I have ever experienced. I literally could not do anything for myself. I could not see, I had no strength, Eric had to feed me, I relied on the nurses for help to the bathroom, I slept most of the day and basically had no idea what was going on. Needless to say, Eric and my family were extremely concerned as to how I would be able to deliver a baby when I could not even feed myself. The doctor reassured them that the body will kick in when it needs to. Well, 4 days, another steroid shot and plenty of magnesium later, I was induced at 9:30 a.m.-on Thanksgiving Day. I remember virtually nothing of the delivery, even hearing Kayla cry for the first time. The room was packed with nurses, doctors, NICU nurses and doctors to ensure that Kayla could be evaluated and taken to the NICU promptly. Kayla was born at 2:00 p.m. on Thanksgiving Day and weighed 4 pounds 5 ounces. I do not remember holding her or even seeing her before they took her away to the NICU. Kayla was doing great with the exception of low birth weight, jaundice and the possibility of complications from the amount of magnesium that I was administered. Kayla had to stay in the NICU for 8 days under the blue light to help her jaundice, and was fed through a feeding tube. After Kayla was able to eat on her own and weigh in at 5 pounds she was able to come home to us. Kayla's entrance into the world was one that I will never forget and we will always be so thankful for our beautiful and healthy little girl or "Turkey Baby" as we like to call her. Happy 5th Birthday, Kayla! We love you so much!