Friday, January 6, 2012

Christmas Traditions

I love traditions. We have so many holiday traditions that make Christmastime so much fun-busy but fun!

Remembering what Christmas is really about by reading a story from out advent calendar every night and then of course the kids favorite part, opening up a window to get the piece of chocolate in the advent calendar that Grandma Nette gives to them.


Going to see Santa!! We went early enough in the month that we actually did not even have to wait in line!! That was a first!!


Zoo Lights
Every year my family goes with the Blawat and Horvath families to see Zoo Lights. They are always so pretty and the kids have so much fun together!












Gingerbread Houses
Another one of our favorite holiday traditions is having our friends, The Blawat Family over to make (mostly eat) gingerbread houses. It always cracks me up watching the kids load these houses up with as much candy as they can cram onto every inch of space.

Let the taste testing begin...






The Nutcracker
Every year my mom, Kayla and I go to dinner and then to watch, The Nutcracker. Kayla is always so fascinated by the costumes and the pretty girls on stage. She loves watching the ballet and pretends that she is in the Nutcracker for days after the show.



Decorating the Kids Christmas Tree
The kids have their own Christmas tree upstairs in the playroom that they can decorate how ever they want with their gingerbread ornaments. It always makes me laugh watching them put all the ornaments in one spot. I REALLY want to move them around to make it look nice and even but...it is their tree and they are so proud of it.



Making Christmas Cookies
I remember as a little girl watching my mom make a ton of Christmas cookies every year and decided this would be a fun tradition that we could start with my kiddos. I don't however, remember my mom including Darren and I in the baking process...I think I understand why now. Lol! We had fun making cookies and made everyone participate! : )


Kyler testing the cookies to make sure they are just right.

Uncle Darren, is that Kyler's apron???


Beer break

While my mom and I are distracted by our beer break, the kids decide to wrestle. Kyler has discovered that he can tackle Kayla and it is rather funny to watch!!



Decorating the kids tree at Grandma and Grandpa's house
My parents have a little tree and some special ornaments that they set out for the kids to decorate their own tree at their house, too.